Petersen Museum Build - MR. GASSER

Who could forget those wild Monsters like Wild Child, MrGasser, Junkyard Kid, Mother's Worry, etc...? Share your Monster memories, pictures, toys, models, decals, shirts, etc....

Moderator: weldonmc

weldonmc

Petersen Museum Build - MR. GASSER

Post by weldonmc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Mr. Gasser was the first of 12 Roth/Revell Monster models. Here's a list of what's been done so far:

Image Image Image Image Image

1.) All parts were removed from the sprue, cleaned up with jeweler's files and test fit. The pieces were then glued together and the seams worked down with files.
2.) The firewall was cut and the engine moved back.
3.) The single pulley and belt blob was cut off the front of the engine and another pulley made from 3 different size tubes. A thin plastic strip was used for the fan belt.
4.) A distributor was made from plastic tubing and plastic coated wire. 8 holes were drilled in the cap for plug wires.
5.) Plug wires are short pieces of telephone wire.
6.) The drivers hand was closed off at the thumb and index finger. That plate was removed, the hand opened up, the steering wheel added along with the fingers completed.
6.) The steering column and shifter arm were replaced with plastic coated wire.
7.) Larger axle tubes were made from plastic and aluminum tubing.
8.) A tongue was made from Aves Apoxy Sculpt for the blower scoop

Color Plans for this Mr. Gasser are a House of Color "Dreamsicle", Alclad Chrome for the shiney stuff, flesh tone figure, orange hair, and of course widewhites.

Hope you like it ...much more to come ...Weldon
I have been a FINKSTER since 1963. I enjoy building, painting, and restoring all of Roth's Monster models ...Weldon

weldonmc

Post by weldonmc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:50 am

I have been working on Mr. Gasser the last few weeks and I have had lots of problems to learn from this time around.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Here's an updated list of what was done:

1.) All parts were removed from the sprue, cleaned up with jeweler's files and test fit. The pieces were then glued together and the seams worked down with files.
2.) The firewall was cut and the engine moved back.
3.) The single pulley and belt blob was cut off the front of the engine and another pulley made from 3 different size tubes. A thin plastic strip was used for the fan belt.
4.) A distributor was made from plastic tubing and plastic coated wire. 8 holes were drilled in the cap for plug wires.
5.) Plug wires are short pieces of telephone wire and boots were made from larger insulation.
6.) The drivers hand was closed off at the thumb and index finger. That plate was removed, the hand opened up, the steering wheel added along with the fingers completed.
6.) The steering column and shifter arm were replaced with plastic coated wire.
7.) Larger axle tubes were made from plastic and aluminum tubing.
8.) A tongue was made from Aves Apoxy Sculpt for the blower scoop.
9.) Rocker moldings were made from plastic angle.
10.) Everything was primed with a White enamel primer to allow for the colors to be thier brightest.
11.) All the shinny parts were painted with Alclad Chrome.
12.) The '57 Chevy was airbrushed with House of Kolor "Dreamsicle" then a catalyzed automotive clear was applied.
13.) Mr. Gasser was painted with acrylic craft paints then stained with and oil based stain. A Matte Varnished was used to protect the acrylic paint.
14.) The orange hair is used for fly fishing lures and purchased from J. Stockard Fly Fishing.
15.) The base is 1/8" masonite and the model is attached with 1/2 x 2 brass screws.

I'm glad this one is finished ...Mother's Worry is almost ready for paint.
I have been a FINKSTER since 1963. I enjoy building, painting, and restoring all of Roth's Monster models ...Weldon