Petersen Museum Build - Rat Fink "HOLD THE PICKLES"

If it is about Rat Fink, it goes in here! Share your Finkster memories, pictures, toys, models, decals, shirts, etc....

Moderator: weldonmc

weldonmc

Petersen Museum Build - Rat Fink "HOLD THE PICKLES"

Post by weldonmc » Fri May 08, 2009 8:49 pm

I have a few pictures of the completed "Hold The Pickles" Rat Fink project. It’s taken quite a few hours to get here …but I’m happy with it and I hope you like it …Weldon

Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image

Here’s a re-cap of everything that was done to it:

1.) A built-up Rat Fink kit was used after being stripped and disassembled. The arms were removed with an x-acto Micro Saw blade and some sprue cutters.

2.) The area around the teeth was removed with the saw too and an inner mouth made with Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

3.) The front and back pieces were joined with styrene cement and plastic strips were cut from .020 sheet plastic and cemented over the openings. Bondo was then mixed and applied over the strips and sanded down to smooth everything out.

4.) Arms and feet were scavenged from a built-up Superfink and repositioned as shown.

5.) A hamburger patty was cut from plastic foam with scissors, sanded into shape with 80 grit paper, colored with brown and black PrismaColor markers, then sprayed with a Crystal Clear enamel. Later a coat of a Satin Polycrylic Urethane was applied for the correct sheen.

6.) Two onion rings were made from sheet plastic strips. The slice of cheese was made from sheet plastic then the corners were heated with a hot air gun and bent down to go over the patty. Pickles were made from Aves Apoxy Sculpt.

7.) The bun was made from Styrofoam. A circle was cut out and sanded with a sanding block an 180 grit paper to get the domed shape I wanted. The bottom was cut then sawed a bit thinner for the right look. Elmer’s Glue All was used to liberally coat each piece then toilet tissue was laid down over the glue and pushed in with a damp foam brush. After this was dry, they were painted with an Ivory acrylic craft paint. Next 2 coats of Semi Gloss Polycrylic Urethane was brushed over both pieces to kind of level everything out some. Brown, Orange, and Yellow were used to simulate the oven baked bread.

8.) The lettuce was made from a Green napkin. It was torn in some random shapes and laid in a plastic plate …then Elmer’s Glue-All was placed on top and a little water used to spread it around as the napkin soaked it up. Each piece was pushed and wrinkled after this to give the paper “lettuce veins”. When it was dry …Ivory and water was brushed on to give it the variation in color.

9.) The tomato was made from the rolled edge of a red plastic Styrofoam plate into a thin strip ...formed a ring with 2 pieces of 26ga wire twisted together then glued the strip to the edge. The center was made from the same plate.

10.) The "bite" was taken out of the burger with an X-acto saw blade and sprue cutters. A brass tube was pushed up through the burger and a plastic coated wire rod was attached to the hand to slip the burger over.

11.) The RF was painted with an Empire Gold acrylic paint, then Ivory was added and dry-brushed over that. Rose was used on the gums, lips, ears, and a few other areas as a highlight color. An oil based walnut stain was applied next and wiped off to highlight the low area details. Everything thing received a couple coats of a Matte Varnish. The ”R.F.” letters were then outlined with a Metallic Blue.

12.) The ever present tail bandage was cut from a bandana and stained “nasty”.

13.) The black and silver craft fur was stuffed in between the ears and the opening left in the top of his head after removing the molded hair with a saw blade.

14.) The base was made from 1/8” Masonite. The figure is attached to it with two #2 x ½ brass screws.
I have been a FINKSTER since 1963. I enjoy building, painting, and restoring all of Roth's Monster models ...Weldon