Petersen Musem Build - BROTHER RAT FINK on a BIKE

If it is about Rat Fink, it goes in here! Share your Finkster memories, pictures, toys, models, decals, shirts, etc....

Moderator: weldonmc

weldonmc

Petersen Musem Build - BROTHER RAT FINK on a BIKE

Post by weldonmc » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:32 am

These are the parts made for the extended springer forks for the very little detailed bike included with the kit Brother Rat Fink on a Bike. All the pieces except for the straight tubing were fabricated from aluminum plate, plastic tubing, or plastic coated rod. To bring this into scale ...the widest piece is only 1/2" long. I only managed to get about two pieces made a day ...allot of filing was done after drilling the small pieces to make everything fit. These pictures make the pieces look a little rough ...but assembled they look great.

Image Image
Much more to come ...Weldon
I have been a FINKSTER since 1963. I enjoy building, painting, and restoring all of Roth's Monster models ...Weldon

weldonmc

Post by weldonmc » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:01 pm

I snapped 4 pics of Brother Rat Fink on a Bike that I am finally getting back to after a long time being away.

I made the springer style front end, handle bars, seat springs, added foot pegs, a larger, metal, gas cap, added twin carbs, made the sissy bar, cut both arms and hands altering them to their new shape, I hope you like the PEACE sign gesture ...that took all day and half the night to accomplish. Further additions will be a Dice topped jockey shift, throttle and front brake cables along with a front disk brake, and paint.

I am really happy now that I am starting to see it come together ...Hope you like it.

Weldon

Image Image Image Image
I have been a FINKSTER since 1963. I enjoy building, painting, and restoring all of Roth's Monster models ...Weldon

weldonmc

Post by weldonmc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:45 pm

I managed to get enough completed on Brother Rat Fink for a few pictures. The figure is painted with an acrylic GEKO GREEN. The jacket and boots were treated with a crackle technique to simulate distressed leather. A walnut stain was applied to the body and pants then wiped away to enhance the low area details in the plastic. Everything was then sprayed with a MATTE varnish to protect the acrylic from rubbing off.

Image Image 3Image Image Image ...Hope you like it ...Weldon

weldonmc

Post by weldonmc » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:46 am

OK ...Brother Rat Fink is almost finished:

Image Image Image Image

Still need to paint the headlight and figure out a way to mount it, paint the cables black, and paint and mount BatFink somewhere.

weldonmc

Post by weldonmc » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:26 am

This 1965, Ed Roth/ Revell, "Brother Rat Fimk on a Bike" is now finished. It was certainly a LongHaul to get it to this point.

[Image Image Image Image Image Image

Here is a list of everything done to the original plastic kit:

1.) All parts were removed from trees, filed, a test fit done, then glued together with styrene glue or epoxy.
2.) RF's nose was filled with Aves Apoxy Sculpt to give it the correct shape. Both arms were cut apart at the elbow and repositioned for the pose. The right hand was cut into 3 pieces, 2 of the fingers were cut in 2 pieces, and all were assembled giving the hand the proper roll and the fingers the proper position for the PEACE SIGN. Aves Apoxy Sculpt was used to smooth out all of the seams.
3.) Slots were cut into the top of the head and under the ears to stuff in the Black/Silver hair.
4.)Thick pieces of plastic were cut and attached to the bottom of the boots to attach the figure with brass screws to the 1/8" Masonite base.
5.)The figure was painted with acrylic craft paints brush painted over a white enamel primer. The distressed leather effect was created with a Crackle Paint base coat. An oil based Walnut stain was brushed on over the color and wiped off with cheese cloth to bring up the low are details. A Matte Varnished was applied to protect the craft paint from rubbing off.
6.) The front forks were cut away leaving only the front axle and hubs. The Springer Style front end was made with aluminum tubing, springs are wrapped floral wire, Tripple trees were made from aluminum sheet and attached to a plastic tube which fir insde the yoke. The yoke was cut and a slight rake applied. The handle bars were made from plastic coated wire. The clamps were made from plastic tubing and plastic coated wire attached to slide inside of the aluminum tubing. The grips and levers were removed from the kit supplied bars and reattached to the new bars. The left lever was removed and a dice jockey shifter fabricated and attached to the tank. Twin carbs were added between the 2 cylinders. The stock footpegs were removed and new, more detailed pegs, were made from plastic coated wire and plastic tubing. A new Sissy Bar was made from plastic coated wire. A font disc brake and caliper were made from plastic plate and attached to the front wheel. Holes were drilled and plastic rod used for throttle and brake cables. A cross member was added under the seat for the new seat spring rest. A small hole was drilled up through the base and into the rear wheel an attaches the bike to the base with a brass screw.
7.) The bike and parts were primed with a white enamel primer. The Chrome parts were then airbrushed with Black enamel the shot with SPAZTIX Chrome. Persimmon Pearl was used for the color and a catalyzed automotive clear was used for the topcoat. The wide whites were applie with a brush with the wheel turning slowly in a drill.
8.) The "BERDOO" sign post was added to balance out the base. I spotted a similar sign while looking through my collection of Roth drawings ...it came from the '64 decal "California Choppers". It was made from wooden balsa strips and plastic rectangular rod.

Well ...that's pretty much it ...hope you like it ...Weldon