California Cruiser- where are they now

Do you know where any of Big Daddy's wheeled creations are now? Post what you know.

Moderator: weldonmc

Up grade the California Cruiser trike or keep it as close to orginal as possible

upgrade
100%
keep orginal
No votes

Total votes: 1

gary chambers

California Cruiser- where are they now

Post by gary chambers » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:00 pm

I purchased the California Cruiser back in 1998. It was bought from the Harrahs collection and is still titled in Harrahs name. It could use a reconditioing job. The brakes are pretty useless.Does anyone know how they were orginally done? Currently there are left and right brake levers on the handlebars. The brake cables join together at the master cylinder. There isn't enough pressure exerted to the master cylinder to safely stop the trike. I had talked with Ed about this and he thought he had the left lever going to the left side and the right going to the right side, but it had been a long time. Ed said you could really turn this thing around by applying the inside brake only. I'm considering using the retrofit kits that are out for the older 9" Ford drum brakes. They install disc brakes inside the brake drum.
I have talked with "Uncle Bob Spina " in Las Vegas about doing a really cool paint job, bright colors and "rat fink" character". I like his style.
Thats the tough decision, keep it orginal or upgrade it a bit. It was orginally metalflake gold. What do you think?

weldonmc

Re: California Cruiser- where are they now

Post by weldonmc » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:08 pm

Hey Gary ...I hate to see Ed Roth's paint schemes changed ...they don't look like his anymore. I would definately upgrade the brakes to whatever it took to make them usable and safe. ...my 2 cents worth ...Weldon
gary chambers wrote:I purchased the California Cruiser back in 1998. It was bought from the Harrahs collection and is still titled in Harrahs name. It could use a reconditioing job. The brakes are pretty useless.Does anyone know how they were orginally done? Currently there are left and right brake levers on the handlebars. The brake cables join together at the master cylinder. There isn't enough pressure exerted to the master cylinder to safely stop the trike. I had talked with Ed about this and he thought he had the left lever going to the left side and the right going to the right side, but it had been a long time. Ed said you could really turn this thing around by applying the inside brake only. I'm considering using the retrofit kits that are out for the older 9" Ford drum brakes. They install disc brakes inside the brake drum.
I have talked with "Uncle Bob Spina " in Las Vegas about doing a really cool paint job, bright colors and "rat fink" character". I like his style.
Thats the tough decision, keep it orginal or upgrade it a bit. It was orginally metalflake gold. What do you think?
I have been a FINKSTER since 1963. I enjoy building, painting, and restoring all of Roth's Monster models ...Weldon