Memories of Big Daddy and Tweedy Pie

Fiberglass, bubble tops and chrome. Big Daddy created many wild customs like the Beatnik Bandit, Mysterion, Road Agent, etc... Share your memories, pictures, diecast, models, decals, shirts, etc....

Moderator: weldonmc

EdRothWorld.com

Memories of Big Daddy and Tweedy Pie

Post by EdRothWorld.com » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:49 am

We wanted to share this great email from Dan Brown about his memories of Big Daddy and Tweedy Pie.
-EdRothWorld.com
----------------------

In 1958 I saw "Tweedy Pie" at car show in Long Beach. Took photo, made an exact model of it using several antique model car kits, chrome thumbtack heads for "baby Moons" etc.

Hitch-hiked (I was only 15) it to Ed Roth's shop. He was really impressed and painted a tiny "Tweedy Pie" on the gas tank (modeled from round pencil and "green stuff") for free, and gave me Bob Johnson's Anaheim address. I h'hiked it over to his place and saw T Pie again in garage.

I saw Roth again at his shop, he liked me, showed me how to pinstripe and gave me 2 of his older brushes. I was the kid stripper for several local cars. Ed was a really friendly guy, but I never saw him again. Years later the Revell model came out. I can claim credit for the inspirational prototype.

All my custom car models were discarded by mom while I was away to art college.

Just wanted to add this to your collection of Roth/Tweedy Pie" trivia.
Thanks,
Dan Brown,
Mendocino, California
EdRothWorld.com
Home of the Finkster Forum
http://www.edrothworld.com

weldonmc

Post by weldonmc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Really neat story Dan ...Thanks for sharing it with us ...Weldon
I have been a FINKSTER since 1963. I enjoy building, painting, and restoring all of Roth's Monster models ...Weldon